The Advanced Studies & Leadership Program
The ASLP 2023 Summer Session is July 9 to July 22!
High-achieving 8th & 9th graders from Cape Cod experience two weeks of exciting hands-on study using world class techology, including MMA’s ship simulator and emergency management training center, and participate in STEM classes and other social activities! This summer college-like experience is held at the MMA campus where students are taught by college professionals and current MMA cadets. The ASLP program allows students to explore a potential career, develop leadership skills, experience life on MMA’s campus while engaging with MMA cadets and also prepare for college and beyond
About the Advanced Studies & Leadership Program
The Advanced Studies & Leadership Program (ASLP), a 2-week summer college-like residential experience developed by the Cape Cod Collaborative with the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, emphasizes leadership and development, and project oriented instruction in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) areas and the humanities for high achieving students from the Cape Cod Collaborative member districts.
Goals & Objectives
As a program in partnership with the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, the objectives of the ASLP are:
- To support and stimulate high achieving students by providing a 2-week summer program that offers hands-on academic pursuit and interactive leadership activities within a collegial environment.
- To provide approximately a minimum of 35 hours of project-oriented study in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) related subject areas.
- To provide approximately a minimum of 16 hours of project-oriented study in a Humanities-related subject area.
- To provide an evening program of interactive leadership activities.
- To provide necessary media and library support to ensure success for each student.
Students participate in the program on the basis of most recent MCAS scores. Student scores must fall within the top 20% of their grade level. In addition, the following criteria will also be considered:
- Past academic achievement
- Interest in subject area
- Current teacher recommendations
- Guidance Counselor or Principal recommendation
Students participate in four day modules, 3.5 hours each day, of exciting hands-on study which will include demonstrations and interactive work with world class technology and state-of-the-art science labs.
“Power Engineering and Renewable Energy,” “Navigation and Shiphandling,” “Use of Remotely Operated Vehicles in Oceanography,” “Ecology of Running Waters,” “Marine Environmental Problems on Cape Cod,” “Marine Science of Cape Cod,” and “Hydroponics,” “Oceanography,” and “Emergency Management” will be topical areas (tentative) explored within each module.
Each student will also select one Humanities course (105 minutes per day) to be selected from this tentative list of courses: “Improve with Improv,” “Painting and Drawing”, “Yearbook Development – Writing and Publication”, “Critics Corner,” “Musical Activity,” and “Maritime History
July 9 to July 22. ASLP will operate as a 2-week overnight program including the weekend of July 15 & 16.
A student is eligible to participate in the Advanced Studies and Leadership Program if:
- The student is entering grade 8 or 9 in September of 2023
- The student is enrolled in a public school within a member district of the Cape Cod Collaborative. Note: a limited number of seats may be made available to public school students from non-member districts.
- The student has sufficient background, potential, and the commitment to profit from the courses and residential environment being offered.
- Cost Per Student Expanded enrollment in Summer 2022 allows for “economies of scale” within the Program. This development coupled with MMA’s generous commitment of space and facilities allows ASLP tuition for summer 2022 to be determined. The total charge per student will not exceed $1200.00 for the 2-week residential experience plus the $80 application fee ($1200.00 tuition + $80.00 application fee = $1280.00). Alternative sources of funding continue to be explored for tuition reduction. The costs include tuition, dormitory room, meals and activity fee.
- Scholarships/Financial Aid A limited amount of funding is available for those meeting ASLP financial needs guidelines.
- Tuition Fees A deposit of $250 is required within ten (10) days of acceptance. (The check should be made payable to the Cape Cod Collaborative.) All balances are to be paid in full by May 19, 2023. Tuition payments, payable to the Cape Cod Collaborative, should be mailed to: Cape Cod Collaborative Attn: ASLP 418 Bumps River Road, Osterville, MA 02655.
- General Refund Policy A $250.00 deposit is required within ten (10) days of acceptance into the program. Should a student withdraw from the program after acceptance, but prior to May 19, 2023, $125.00 of this deposit will be refunded.
- Please refer to the Parent-Student Catalogue (below) for further details about our refund policy.
Interested students should consult their school principal or guidance counselor for information and application materials. Application materials are available at the principal/guidance office within member schools. Applications will only be accepted from the principal/guidance counselor at the member district. The following materials must be submitted to the guidance/principal’s office by the due date designated by the district:
- Check for non-refundable application fee ($80)
- Two teacher recommendations
- Guidance counselor or principal recommendation
About COVID-19 and ASLP Summer Program 2023
At this time, Massachusetts Maritime Academy is recommending (but not requiring) all visitors to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Boosters are also strongly recommended. This means that all students attending ASLP 2023 will also be required to be fully vaccinated. Please see the following link to view Mass Maritime’s full COVID-19 policy.
It is our intention to balance STEM education and social activities with all necessary and reasonable safety measures to help protect not just those directly participating in the Summer 2023 program but also those indirectly connected, such as parents, siblings and grandparents.
ASLP General Information
Massachusetts Maritime Academy
101 Academy Drive
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
Stephen M. Kelleher, CDR
John J. Muldoon, MSMB
Cape Cod Collaborative
418 Bumps Rivers Road
Osterville, MA 02655
Alicia Prouty- Administrative Assistant email@example.com
Joseph Gilbert, Program Consultant and Director Emeritus
Please contact us at ASLP@capecodcollaborative.org